Portfolio Update (December 2021)

Hello again, Merry Christmas to everyone! Hope everyone managed to get some rest during this holiday season.


This month update was slightly later as I was fiddling with the transfer of the blog from wordpress to blogger.


After trying out wordpress for a year, I still prefer the simplicity of blogger. Too many functions on the wordpress just confuses me. 


Hopefully the new design is much more navigable and aesthetically pleasing.


Time really flies, less than a week to the end of the year. 


It's amazing how time just passes like that without me noticing. So I guess its probably good to have a monthly review for me to record and try to remember what actually happened!



Month in Review


New Role, New Experiences

Just last week, I've moved on from a role that I been on for the past 1.5years. Moving on from a place, where I had good colleagues which made me want to come to work and strive to achieve our outcomes, is never easy. 

Although we had our differences from time to time, looking back it was these squabbles that made us understand one another better and formed a bond uniquely amongst us.


It was also there, where I first started my first official role. Making mistakes is part of this journey but luckily none were major and everyone took away the right lessons. 


I was grateful to have great bosses that cared, took time to explain rationale for things being done and most importantly gave guidance. 


Thankful for all the opportunities given to me - definitely stepped out of comfort zone and gained new experiences.  


As I embark on my new role, there would definitely be a new set of challenges; uncertainty in the new scope, dynamics with colleagues. 


To myself: Have an open mind, don't be afraid to seek help when in doubt, utilise the experiences gained thus far and all will be fine. Don't give up and hustle on!


Omicron Variant

When I first heard of this term, I thought it was another new crypto in town. With the virus mutating, it makes it hard to eradicate and the fight against COVID will take a little longer than expected. 


There has been reports where the new variant is much more transmissible though less deadly, but no concrete studies have been to prove this. 


Lets play our part as responsible members of the society, be vaccinated and boosted to protect yourself and your loved ones from the virus.



Portfolio Update

The markets dipped slightly on news of the emergence of the Omicron variant. Some countries like Austria have started to lockdown in a bid to curb the rising cases of the coronavirus.  



Growth Portfolio

The China market continued to be unloved by investors due to the ongoing regulatory. 


Didi will be delisting from the New York Stock Exchange less than 6 months after its IPO. Coupled with the Evergrande issue, China seems un-investible for many. 


Alibaba continue to slide further and I'm currently down by 40%. Will be monitoring how this plays out and consider averaging down. 



Index Portfolio








Nothing exciting in this segment, just plain old Indexing doing its job. 


Added monthly funds to EIMI and IWDA.



Yield Portfolio
















As the COVID situation drags on and with news of the new omicron variant, "travel" businesses like CDG and SATS were affected. 


Lots of patience is needed for these businesses and hopefully they come out stronger from this pandemic.


Another area that is starting to look attractive would be REITS. Despite the pandemic, malls are still packed and sometimes it makes me wonder if we have returned to pre-covid times. As CICT price fell below NAV, I've decided to invest in them. 


CICT's DPU has managed to recover to pre-covid levels and this gives confidence that they know how to navigate their business through the pandemic. 


Summary

Networth hit an all time high of ~308k! (Excluding CPF). Thankful for the bonus this year where the bulk of it will be kept for the CPF SA Top-up next year.


TLDR

  • Left previous role, embarked on a exciting new role
  • Identification of Omicron variant - Get Vaccinated/Boosted!
  • Markets dipped on fears of omicron, ongoing China regulatory
  • Added CICT, networth ATH of 308k


Thanks for reading, stay safe!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.